It was another excellent National Science Week here at Junction Park, with our wonderful Science Fair and all of the fantastic investigations completed by the students, with support from parents and teachers. We had 195 investigations submitted this year - 20 more than last year! All students who put in a submission are to be congratulated. Additional congratulations to all of the winners (listed below) and in particular Catherine M who won Scientist of the Year for 2016.
I would like to thank and acknowledge the following people for all their help and support in making the Science Fair happen:
- Our wonderful judges – parents of current and former students, our great friends at the Diamantina Institute and the University of Queensland.
- Our excellent special guest speaker, and former Junction Park student, Amber Collings for her entertaining and inspirational speech on Wednesday afternoon.
- Ms Armitage and Mrs te Kloot for their continued assistance.
- The Science Captains (James P and Aiden C) as well as William R who stepped in to help host the event on Wednesday afternoon.
- Leanne Pearson, Maria, Tracey, Mr Simcock and Mrs Murphy for organising our Science fundraising sausage sizzle.
- John P and the office staff who proved invaluable in the weeks and days leading up to the Science Fair.
- Classroom teachers in Prep to Year 3 who submitted some amazing class investigations as well as all teachers and other staff who helped students with their investigations.
- 2A for the wonderful foyer display celebrating the Science Fair.
- Zoe P and Scarlett W for the great Science Fair poster they created.
- Parents and families who supported their children in completing their investigation.
All students who submitted an investigation will receive a Certificate of Participation along with the marking sheet from the judges. These will be distributed over the next couple of weeks.
The other exciting part of the event on Wednesday afternoon was the announcement of the Science sponsorship by the Chemist Warehouse. Thanks to the generous sponsorship of $2000 the school will be able to purchase more science and digital technology equipment. We really appreciate the ongoing support of our local businesses.
Highly commended – Miles C
Third Prize – Lola C-W
Second Prize – Frank D
First Prize – Nina C
Highly commended – Georgia O’B
Third Prize – Archie McL
Second Prize – Annika K
First Prize – Roy P
Highly commended – Edgar and Hamish M
Third Prize – Sorenne P
Second Prize – Olive H
First Prize – Isaac S
Highly commended – Sam H, Daniel McN and Grace M
Third Prize – Tara De B
Second Prize – Seanna F
First Prize – Poppy R
Highly commended – Emiliana M, Dylan W and Mary D
Third Prize – Chelsea H and Tom B
Second Prize – Nerissa D
First Prize – Lucia P
Highly commended – William McG, Tillee C and Julles Christian A
Third Prize – Ellen W
Second Prize – Charlotte McN
First Prize – Isabelle M
Highly commended – Hugo L, Levi D, Will H and William R
Third Prize – Catherine M
Second Prize – James P
First Prize – Zoe B
Scientist of the Year – Catherine M (Year 6)